Thursday, April 7, 2016

Turbulent Hearts: Disturbing The Peace In The City of Angles


Photo by Nicolas Delvalle

Turbulent Hearts breathe in and absorb Los Angles into their collective blood stream.  They take all the apprehension, heart ache, and rage that has been laid there in past decades by broken Hollywood pinups and consumed rock n roll heroes and feed from it.  People think New York City holds the blue ribbon for this sort of thing since it birthed bands like The Ramones and the New York Dolls but L.A. is littered with its fair share of decadence.  Love it or hate it, this sort of element exists in almost every big city.  Sooner or later everyone living in one realizes those noxious urban ingredients seeps into the soul weather you like it or not.  You can either deny it and let it fester or you can pick up a guitar and draw strength from it.

Interview by J Castro

Who is currently in the band and what does everyone do in it?
Hi I am Suzi Moon and I am excited to be doing an interview with Audio Ammunition!!

Turbulent Hearts consist of me, Suzi Moon on guitar & vocals, Mark Johnson on bass, and Jay Skowronek on the drums.


How did you all meet and decide to play music together?
SUZI: Mark and I were introduced in the Spring of 2015, at a studio in North Hollywood. I was just starting to put the band together and my drummer at the time suggested him to play bass. Funny thing is, Mark never played bass before joining this band but I think his excitement to be playing a new instrument carries over into the music and is integral to the sound. Jay, aka The Beast, was “gifted” to us by my lifelong friend Ryan Seaman, who drums in Falling In Reverse. Ryan knows all the best people, and we are really lucky to have such a gifted drummer – Jay is pretty much the hardest hitting drummer I’ve ever seen and super creative to boot! Together the three of us just click.


What band or musician first inspired you to want to pick up an instrument and learn to play and/or write music?
SUZI: I really wanted to be Britney Spears when I was in 5th grade – I knew all the words to her songs and would videotape myself singing along in the living room. My older sister Liza had just started playing in her own punk band, Civet and took it upon herself to save me from the popstars – She started bringing me along to backyard punk shows in Wilmington, all ages shows in Lynwood, and of course big shows in LA. I quickly changed my tune and decided that the freedom of expression that comes along with being a punk rocker was the way to go for me. It wasn’t that long till I started longing for a guitar of my own…

I remember going to see the Distillers a lot and being completely entranced by Brody – she was really the only female crossing the line by being so ferocious onstage!


How would you describe you band to your grandparents?
SUZI: I would tell her that its just rock and roll, like the Rolling Stones but faster. I don’t think Grandma cares as long as I am happy, haha.


What sorts of things do you typically enjoy writing songs about? 
SUZI: Honestly… Love is one of those classic themes that is just so relatable and easy for me to talk about. I have a lot of love songs but not in the traditional sense. It’s just that everyone has been in a relationship and it is easy to share those emotions. Also feelings of loss, inadequacy, alcoholism/addiction, family, dreams & ambitions… Just normal shit.

Photo by Nicolas Delvalle

I’ve heard people say that playing and writing music is therapeutic to them.  Have you ever found this to be true?
SUZI: Definitely! Music is the ultimate healer and connector. Whether listening to or writing music, lyrics, whatever, any kind of art is therapeutic!


Does it annoy you or distract you at all to see some of your audience members fondling their phones while you’re up on stage performing?
SUZI: If someone wants to be on their phone at a rad show, that’s on them. Sometimes people are waiting for an important text or are just so used to scrolling their telescreens that it doesn’t feel natural to watch an entire show. Who is really to blame, we are conditioned to have short attention spans. But whatever, they can’t turn off their ears!


After one of your shows, what sort of feeling or sentiment do you hope your audience walks away with? 
SUZI: I hope the audience feels a bit rattled in their skull. And like they need to see it again!


What is your favorite album to listen to from start to finish?
SUZI: Aw, I love so many albums! That’s a tough one… But I think I would have to go with Tom Petty’s “Full Moon Fever”. That album came out right before I was born, in 1989, and is kind of like, just the perfect rock album. Every song is unique and dynamic, like you’re riding in a gondola down the Venice canals and Tom is just writing it about your life, because inside you are a teenage girl from the Valley. It perfectly embodies that Southern California sound I live for & am trying to create new again for punk rock.


What’s the best advice anyone has ever given you that you still follow to this day?
SUZI: Don’t take no shit from nobody.


What is the best way people can hear and get a hold of your music?
SUZI: You can listen to our first two EP’s at www.turbulenthearts.bandcamp.com or purchase physical CD’s and other merch at www.turbulenthearts.bigcartel.com and also check out our YouTube and Facebook and Instagram!


What lies ahead for the band in 2016?
SUZI: We are almost done with our third EP which will be out for the summer! New videos are coming too, as well as a tour so if you want us to come to your town please send us a message and we will respond! Email us @ theturbulenthearts.gmail.com

Thanks Audio Ammunition!
Xo

Suzi Moon



























No comments:

Post a Comment