Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Wyatt Blair



     After about 30 seconds into Wyatt Blair’s debut record Banana Cream Dream, I was pretty sure I was going to love it.  It’s one of those records you sit down to listen to, loving every song, hoping and keeping your fingers crossed the next song is going to be as good as the one you just heard, and it is!  Wyatt Blair’s music embodies everything I love in bands like Dave Clark Five, 1910 Fruitgum Company, and The Bay City Rollers (yes you read correctly, THE Bay City Rollers).  Rock N Roll that straps a smile on your face and shoots high tension coiled springs from the bottom of your feet.  Can’t wait to hear more!


Interview by Jay Castro

Who is in the current Wyatt Blair band and how do they earn their keep in it?
Jeremy Katz (Bass)- he plays in an awesome band called Froth! I live with Jeremy so it is convenient and he is one of my best friends.

Tomas Dolas (guitar)- Tomas & I have been playing music together for years and grew up in the same town in Laguna, CA we moved to LA together to play music in out band Mr. Elevator & The Brain Hotel, I also live with him so it is so convenient and he is like a brother to me!

Cameron Allen (drums)- Cameron also plays in Froth with Jeremy, and I actually grew up with him as well in Laguna, CA I was in my first band ever with him when we were 14 me and cam go way back!

Where are you from originally?
I am originally from a small beach town in Orange County called Dana Point which is nestled between Laguna Beach, CA & San Clemente, CA

What influences did you have in mind when writing the songs for Banana Cream Dream? 
I don’t know really, my goal was to simply make an honest pop/rock record that anyone could enjoy from any age, area or social “scene” persay…  I didn’t want any major musical influences, just solely the people and reality we all live in together J

I read that out of all different art forms, music has the power to alter a person’s disposition the fastest.  Do you agree with this?  Do you have any favorite music that you can put on that will always lift you up from a slump?
Oh, I 100% agree! Music to me is very emotional and in a weird way, very sexual. I think it is one of the most powerful things you can be a part of or witness! Whenever I am sad I really like listening to sad music, I tend to throw on slow folk records like Vetiver or Little Joy, I always listen to Flaming Lips when I’m sad too for some reason their music really gets me… and when I’m happy, I love listening to happy music. One of my favorite bands that cheers me up is Bananamou, Bananamou from New York. Her record is SO SO good I highly recommend you check it out. I also always throw on this band called Adult Books; they are classic, you got to check them out, definitely one of my favorite bands ever! 

If you could tour with any band/musician from times gone by, who would it be and why?
I would LOVE to tour with Rick Springfield because he is a “PPG” a power pop genius!

The new album is on Burger Records.  How did that relationship begin?
My friends in The Lovely Bad Things gave them some of my demos a few years back and ever since they’ve been a string support vein for my music, I am so honored and lucky to have such a great label in support of us!

You are currently touring in support of Banana Cream Dream and have been playing many places with other great bands.  What’s been the most memorable show so far?  Good or bad.
All of the shows have been memorable to say the least, my personal favorite shows have been New York, NY & Austin, TX! The tour has been great fun and every city has had its fare share of awesomeness. J

So you’ve played in quite a few bands I see.  What or who inspired you to want to start writing and recording your own songs and perform them with your own band?
I guess I have always been writing songs, I just never took it too seriously until Burger Records wanted to do a tape hahaha

On one of your Facebook posts, you recently declared that Mountain Dew is the best soda.  I thought this was pretty vague.  Is it the original flavor Dew?  Oh, and have you tried the Mountain Dew with the old school label that uses real sugars in it?  Because THAT is good stuff!
I had this weird craving for one and I searched everywhere for one and finally did and it was probably one of the greatest feelings ever! Better than holding in a long pee and finally going!!! You just blew my mind, I have never heard of that! Where can you get one of the “OG” mountain dews?!?!? *slurp slurp*

I read an interview with Keith Richards where he said that anyone buying digital music is getting short changed.  Do you agree with this and if so, why?
I agree to a certain extent, I think buying a physical hard copy of music is much more meaningful and “real” in a sense that you can physically hold it, its tangeable….but at the same time digital or physical your ears get to listen to the music the artist wanted you to hear.

I don’t like using the term “guilty pleasure” because I don’t think anyone should be made to feel ashamed of anything they like.  However with that being said, what do you listen to that you think a lot of your fans may be surprised by?
I have a weird obsession with Bananarama!!! I collect all of their 45’s and LP’s

What do you have in store for us in the near, or not so near future?  Any plans to tour Europe?
When the 12” LP will be available, we will be going on another Banana Cream Dream national tour in September...we are hoping to come to Europe very soon! It is a goal of all of ours. J

Where can people go to get or hear the amazing Banana Cream Dream record or any other music or merch that you might have available?
You can follow us on facebook or you can digitally download the album on our bandcamp page at (http://wyattblair.bandcamp.com) or you can order a hard copy at Burger Records at (http://www.burgerrecords.com











No comments:

Post a Comment